New year, new recipes? Ha! I wish. But it’s finally time to share one of my favorite recipes – banana crumb muffins! It’s a recipe that I seem to make quite often – and not just because B seems to let his bananas go bad often, but because they are SO easy and SO yummy! The next time you find yourself with 3 or 4 overripe banana, I suggest you try these out.
Banana Crumb Muffins
Adapted from this recipe, makes 12 muffins
Here’s what you’ll need:
For the muffins:
- 4 ripe bananas, smooshed, either by hand or food processor
- 3/4 c granulated sugar
- 1 egg (I used 1/4c eggbeaters)
- 3/4 stick butter (3/4 stick is 6 tbs … you can use the 2 tbs in the stick remaining for the topping!)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 c flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
For the crumb topping:
- 2/3 c brown sugar
- 3 tbs flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbs butter (the rest of the stick of butter from above)
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Use a food processor to mash 4 bananas until smooshy (yes, smooshy, not soupy). Add melted butter, sugar, vanilla and egg to food processor. You could probably put the banana in a bowl and then add the other wet aforementioned ingredients, but why make another bowl dirty that you’ll just have to wash?
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Add banana-butter-sugar-vanilla-egg mixture to dry ingredients. Mix well until dry and wet ingredients are combined thoroughly.
- Spoon batter into greased muffin tin, or tin prepared with muffin liners.
- Make the topping! In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 3 tbs flour and cinnamon. Cut in 2 tablespoons butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle crumb topping over muffins.
Bake in 375 degree oven for 18 to 20 minutes – mine tend to be finished at exactly 19 minutes.
Enjoy! Try to keep yourself from eating before they get cool – I tell B this every time, but I still find him trying one before it’s fully cool and then the muffin sticks to the wrapper. It may be hard, but it’s worth the wait!