In need of a last minute appetizer before the Super Bowl? Looking for a new signature dish for potlucks? Here it is! Bacon bleu cheese guacamole. Yum. I first had this glorious combination at Lopez and was hesitant at first, as I have a strong dislike for bleu cheese. BUT there’s just something glorious about the combination of the avocado, the salty bacon and the tangy bleu cheese that makes it perfect! So B and I decided to make some for ourselves .. and guests … making a few additions – red onion and tomato. Here’s our recipe:
Bacon Bleu Cheese Guacamole
Perfect for a potluck, serves 6-8 as a main appetizer; serve with tortilla chips
What you need:
- 5 avocados
- 1/4 lb of bleu cheese (chunks or chopped into chunks)
- 6-8 slices of thick cut bacon
- 1 medium sized tomato
- Half a red onion
- Garlic powder, to taste
What you do:
- Finely dice the red onion.
- Chop the tomato into cubes, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cook the bacon. Let it get crispy, and then cool.
- While bacon is cooking, mash the avocados.
- Once the avocado is at the consistency you like your guacamole (I like mine smooth with some chunks), you’re ready to add in the other ingredients. Add in bleu cheese chunks to taste.
- Finely chop the bacon and add to bleu cheese-avocado mixture.
- Add garlic powder to taste.
- Add in the onion and fold in tomato.
Enjoy with tortilla chips!