Two weeks ago, I got an email from my bff Jane. All that it said, was, “Have you made these yet?
they look AMAZING.”
I clicked on the link. Chocolate Stout Cupcakes with Irish Whiskey Filling and Bailey’s Frosting? Oh my goodness. No – I had not made these. But now I was on a mission to make them for St. Patrick’s Day!
SO this afternoon, I did it. No, I didn’t do the recipe exactly (I didn’t have Irish Whiskey. Woops! AND Brian’s drink of choice is Murphy’s, not Guinness)- but they still came out wonderful!
Murphy’s Chocolate Cupcakes with Dark Chocolate Ganache and Bailey’s Buttercream Frosting
Here’s what you need:
For the Murphy’s cupcakes:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 cup Murphy’s Irish Stout
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup sour cream
For the dark chocolate ganache:
- 1.5 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup heavy cream OR milk
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. Bailey’s Irish cream
For the Bailey’s buttercream frosting:
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 3-4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- ½ cup Bailey’s Irish cream
Here’s what you do:
For the cupcakes:
- Heat the butter and Murphy’s in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once butter is melted, add cocoa powder and whisk until smooth. Remove from the heat and cool.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. In your mixer, beat eggs with sour cream. Add the cooled beer-butter-cocoa mixture and fold in with a spatula. Mix in the dry ingredients on low speed - don’t overmix.
- Pour batter into a muffin pan, prepared with cupcake liners. Bake, at 350 degrees, until done, about 17-20 minutes. Cool.
For the ganache filling:
- Place chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl.
- Warm the cream in a small saucepan until simmering, then pour it over the chocolate. Whisk until smooth. Add the butter and Bailey’s and stir until smooth.
- Set aside until it is cool/thickened.
Cut out a portion from the center of the cupcake to insert filling. I used the cone method (GREAT how-to, here) but the other recipes, above, core the cupcake. You could use a piping bag to fill the cupcakes; I used a small spoon to insert the filling.
For the frosting:
- Beat butter until fluffy.
- Slowly add in powdered sugar.
- Mix in the Bailey’s.
- Frost the cupcakes and adorn with green sugar or other festive decorations!