One of my favorite blogs for browsing healthy slow cooker recipes is Skinnytaste.com. I’ve already pinned a bunch of recipes and even tried a few. So when I saw the photo of her Crock Pot Chicken a la Criolla, I was excited! Cilantro, chicken, tomatoes and olives? Yum! So when B went to the store, I sent him off with the grocery list, and was excited to enjoy what was sure to be a delish dish.
BUT of course B forgot a few things. Like tomato sauce. And cilantro. Though the cilantro was probably on purpose because he hates it. Determined to still have a crock pot meal, I adapted the recipe somewhat and turned it into an Italian dish – served on top of orzo, instead of rice! It was yummy and I’ll definitely be making it again, especially since B and I finished it the first night. What can I say – he’s training for a marathon and was hungry!
Italian Crock Pot Chicken (a.k.a Slow Cooker Chicken, Tomatoes and Olives)
(Adapted from Skinnytastes.com’s Crock Pot Chicken a la Criolla)
Here’s what you need:
- 4-5 skinless boneless chicken thighs (about 1 lb)
- 1 medium sized white onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, either finely diced or crushed with garlic press
- 1bell pepper, finely sliced
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped into cubes
- 6 – 8 small pitted Spanish olives + 2 tbs olive juice
- 1 c tomato sauce (I used homemade sauce that we had on hand … B or I make it at least once a month for pasta, etc. but you probably could use a can)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- Handful of fresh basil (if on hand)
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Put chicken, onion, garlic, pepper and tomatoes in the crock pot.
- Add salt, cumin, basil, oregano. Stir it all up so everything is well-seasoned.
- Add tomato sauce, olives, 2 tbsp of the olive juice, 1/2 cup water, and bay leaves. Mix well.
- Set crock pot on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
- When done, add fresh basil and adjust spices as needed.
Serve over orzo or with a big chunk of Italian bread for dunking in the broth. Or both!