Another month of 2014 is done and another pretty good month in terms of mileage. I finished February with 116.6 miles – not quite the 145.7 of January, but still somehow more than last February’s 111 miles.
Some of the highlights from the month:
- I ran another super long (for me) treadmill run and a record for me – 9.4 miles. That’s my new treadmill record. While I’m proud of somehow sticking through that workout – I’m also regretting not getting outdoors enough (see below).
- I ran my first race of the season – the Chili Bowl 5k! B and I ran it with our friend Dave, but we didn’t run it for time. We actually ran it as part of a 12 mile long run – we did 9 miles and finished with the 5k. The long run itself was somewhat painful (it was my first outdoor run in forever and the roads were snowy/icy) but finishing with the race definitely helped. And I’m surprised that our times for the race weren’t worse!
- I got in 2 long runs outdoors – the above 12 miler and a 9 miler.
- I tried out my new Yaktrax- and enjoyed them! I was in Toledo for work one day a few weeks ago and really wanted to get in a run outside, but the path near where I was had not been cleared and had a fresh path of snow over some patches of ice. I tried the Yaktrax and only nearly slipped like once in a four mile run. I definitely was slower on my feet with them on, but it was SO great to be outside!
Some of the not-so-good:
- So much indoor running. I think I ran outdoors like 4 times this month, if that. It was cold, then super snowy, then cold, then icy, etc. You get the idea. AND while I’m excited for reaching a new treadmill record, I think it’s hurting my ability to actually run. My last few outdoor runs have been harder than they should be, which makes me nervous for this weekend’s half marathon. I only did 2 long runs outside in all of February.
- I some how forgot that I need new shoes! I’ve been running on my Nike Air Pegasus for probably 650 mi or so (maybe more, yipes!), and I’m overdue for a new pair. I want to get something fun and a new color though -what should I get? I like a cushion shoe to go with my supporting orthotics.
- I skimped out on some of my training. Last week I was away for 4 days, including the weekend, which meant traveling, cold weather, and many more excuses. Yes, I got in a run each day (so I won’t beat myself up over it too much) but not the 7 miler or 14 miler I had planned.
Some questions for you:
- What shoes do you wear running? Any recommendations for a good cushiony shoe? I used to be a Brooks girl but have switched to Nike Air Pegasus or Saucony Rides. I can’t determine how I feel about any of the new Pegasus or Ride colors (see the picture below_ and I want something new and fun!
- How do you keep track of your runs? I use a combination of dailymile, nike+ and a spreadsheet on my desktop. I can never seem to keep dailymile and nike+ updated, so I just make sure my spreadsheet is accurate.
- What races do you have coming up? Are you training for anything? The Chicago Get Lucky Half is next weekend! After that, I hope to continue long runs and find my next race.
And I leave you with something that I saw on Twitter:
Imagine a life if EVERYBODY ran … what would be different?