Just in time for the holidays, I’m excited to share with you a recipe that is delicious and perfect for peanut butter and chocolate lovers.
This is not realllllly a holiday recipe, but you can dress it up with red and green and then it’s the perfect for the holidays! It’s not difficult to make but it IS somewhat time consuming because it’s a few layers. But I promise it’s worth it because it really is that good.*
*if you don’t like peanut butter or chocolate you WON’T like these. I can’t be held responsible for your taste buds.
Peanut Butter Fudge Caramel Bars
Here’s what you need:
For the cookie layer
- 1/2 c butter (1 stick)
- 1/3 c granulated sugar
- 1 c flour
For the peanut butter caramel layer
- 30 caramels, unwrapped
- 3 Tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
For the peanut butter fudge layer
- 1 1/2 c. chocolate chips (I ended up using about half semi-sweet and half milk chocolate)
- 2 Tablespoons peanut butter
- 1/2 c. candy topping – I used peanut butter M&Ms that were red and green
Here’s what you do:
- For the cookie layer: Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8×8 in. pan with foil and/or spray with cooking spray. Creaming the butter and sugar with a stand mixer until fluffy. Slowly stir in flour. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 18 minutes until it starts to slightly brown. Cool for at least 20-30 minutes before continuing.
- For the peanut butter caramel layer: Mix caramels, peanut butter, and heavy cream in a pot over medium to medium low heat. Stir until smooth and melted. Carefully pour on top of cookie layer. I used a spatula to evenly spread on top of cookie. Chill at least 15 minutes before adding chocolate peanut butter layer.
- For the chocolate peanut butter layer: Melting chocolate chips and peanut butter together in the microwave for about 45 seconds. Stir until smooth and peanut butter is incorporated and pour over caramel layer. Again, I used a spatula to spread evenly and carefully. Top with candy of your choice – I use red and green M&Ms and sprinkles to fit within my holiday theme.
- Chill bars until completely firm; I chilled mine in the fridge for a few hours and then let sit at room temperature before cutting.