HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
I can NOT believe that tomorrow will be 2023. The year was memorable for many reasons – B and I both got new jobs, our youngest turned one, our lives returned to some sense of normalcy with 3 kids at school/daycare, some traveling again, AND the return of in-person racing! I didn’t do many races this year, but it was still a good year, with lots of miles fit into my busyish schedule and no injuries.
I set out the year with these goals:
Goal 1: Add in something else besides running into my schedule.
Goal 2: Continue to run, injury free.
Goal 3: Run in-person races again!
Here’s how I did related to those goals:
Goal 1: I started doing some other workouts in the morning! It’s nothing significant, but several days a week I start my day with diastasis recti exercises, ab exercises or some other 8-10 minute video before hitting the road to run. It hasn’t been every day (it’s only when I wake up early before the kids) and it’s not all year (I started it maybe in October?), but I actually started this, which is big for me.
Goal 2: Yes! Yes! I ran injury free, thanks in part to continued stretching (sometimes) and rolling my foot out each day after running to prevent PF.
Goal 3: I ran ~5 races this year – they included:
- Cleveland Marathon Challenge Series: This included a 5K and half marathon. See my recap, here:
- Communion of Saints 5K: This small race earned me an AG medal! My kids and husband did the one miler. More here.
- Cleveland Heights Happy 5K: I “ran” this race with my 6-year-old! It was his first 5K. We ended up walking most of it but I feel lucky to have run a race with him. More here.
- Bulldog Bolt 5K: This was my fastest postpartum 5K and a fast-for-me-right-now time. My kids and husband did the one miler. More here.
- Stratford, Connecticut Turkey Trot: This was a fun race that I ended up doing before Thanksgiving with my family. More here.
This week, I’m finishing up the year on a quiet note with only a few days of running. I got in three runs in Upstate New York when visiting my family and a short run in Cleveland today. It was an easy week, and I enjoyed some time off of work AND running. With that for this week, that leaves me with the following for this year …
Total mileage for 2022: 1,513.67
Questions for you:
- How did your 2022 end in terms of fitness?
- Any goals for 2023?