Happy hump day! That’s right it’s WEDNESDAY. Which means it’s totally time for What I Ate Wednesday. (and no, it’s not Friday yet)
Today’s eats are from Monday. I’ve been fighting a cold coming on for the past few days and have been trying to get rest (unsuccessfully), take it easy (semi-successfully) and up my Vitamin C. So on this day I had TWO oranges! Well, one orange and one tangelo. Stay tuned…
Breakfast started with some egg white oats. I’ve been adding some brewer’s yeast and flaxseed to mine lately to help with my milk supply. Not sure if it’s working, but they tasted good! Oh and of course- said tangelo.
Lunch was part leftover salad from Stone Oven (their Janea salad has tabbouleh, chicken, feta, roasted red pepper, couscous and amazing croutons – I’m hooked!) and part sweet potato that I roasted.Plus some fruit salad (a mini pear and thats right – an orange!) and baby carrots.
I had a late work meeting so around 4 p.m. I decided to have some mixed nuts and a few of these boobie balls. Or energy balls – whatever you want to call them. This batch has mini chocolate chips and M&Ms in them – perfect for an afternoon sweet fix!
Since I had a client meeting that started at 5:30 p.m., B was on daycare pick AND dinner duty. He made me dinner of runny eggs, beans and spinach – and it hit the spot.
Yes, there’s a baby in the background!
Oh, and I ended the day with some chocolate. B had picked up a box of chocolates from a local chocolatier over the weekend and I couldn’t help but dive in. YUM!
That was it for my What I Ate Wednesday eats! I hope that I start to feel better soon – this vitamin C better do the trick! Since I’m still bf-ing, there’s not much in terms of cold meds that I can take.
Some questions for you:
- Do you have any tricks to fighting or shortening colds?
- Do you have a favorite nut?
Welp, as I mentioned, I’m back at work from maternity leave. Which means – back to my typical office eats. Every day is somewhat different, but for today’s What I Ate Wednesday, I wanted to share a pretty typical day of food and snacks when 99% of the food I ate that was at my office. Here are last Thursday’s eats!
Breakfast was oats – I’ve been on an egg kick lately, but B was traveling for work and didn’t have time to make me eggs and since I’m lazy, I made some egg white oats and topped it with banana and mixed nuts. They were SO good! I love egg whites in my oats heated up – they fill me up longer AND take on a custardy type texture.
Snacks also included more mixed nuts. Here are the containers we have at work.
Lunch is not that pretty looking but it hit the spot! A ton of roasted veggie s(squash, eggplant, onion, zucchini) and some ground chicken gyro meat that was leftover from dinner. All on top of some spinach. YUM.
Later snacks included an apple.
And a few of these boobie balls. Or energy balls – whatever you want to call them. I may have consumed more than 2 as the day went on …
Dinner was one of my favorite quick and easy meals – roasted veggie hash topped with a runny egg. I need more easy quick meals in my life!
And of course, dessert. Arctic Zero Vanilla Maple topped with some chocolate chips, chocolate wafers and PEANUT BUTTER. There was more peanut butter on the bottom too.
That was it for my What I Ate Wednesday eats! I headed to bed literally right after my dessert and conked out. I’m so tired now that I’m back at work. Between running, working, and not sleeping (FW is still waking up 1-2 times a night to eat), I’m not sure how my brain is functioning most days.
Some questions for you:
- Do you like Arctic Zero? Favorite flavor?
- Do you prep lunches for work/school in advance or make them daily?
One of the things I’ve noticed as a breastfeeding mom is that some days I am ravenous. Some days I need two breakfasts. Other days I’m not hungry until 10 but then I need two (or three) snacks!
While I’m not yet actively trying to lose weight (in case you couldn’t tell by my double the ice cream day What I Ate Wednesday post), I am trying to make healthy-ish choices sometimes – for me AND for FW. So I’m so glad to have found these delicious energy balls.
I’d had energy balls like these before becoming pregnant (they’re good for everyone! not just breastfeeding moms!), and Anson had made me some when she and her daughter came over to visit FW and I. But these are a little different. Why? They have ingredients that are supposedly good for breastfeeding – Brewer’s yeast, oats, flaxseed. And yes, these are supposedly good for non-breastfeeders, so feel free to make them, share them with your BF friends and eat some yourself! I’ve been known to share some with B as well:)
Energy Balls – a.k.a. Boobie Balls
Slightly updated from here
Here’s what you need:
- 2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup peanut butter or other nut butter (I like Once Again almond butter or Peanut Butter & Co crunchy peanut butter– I’ve also made with creamy peanut butter and it’s just as good!) (NOTE: the quantity of peanut butter you use will depend on the type/consistency. The more runny the peanut butter – like in many natural kinds – the less likely you’ll need a full cup because it’s so wet. The more dry the peanut butter – as is with a low fat kinda like low fat JIF – you may need more)
- 1 cup ground flaxseed
- 1.5 cups shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup of honey
- 1 Tablespoon Brewer’s yeast (I buy my Brewer’s yeast from Swanson Health* online)
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- Optional: 1 cup add-ins – a mixture of chocolate chips, dried fruit, etc. I like craisins and/or chocolate chips, white chocolate chips or mini m&ms
Here’s what you do:
- Combine peanut butter, honey, and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix on medium low. (NOTE – I’ve also done this by hand with a large spoon)
- Add in the dry ingredients: oatmeal, coconut, Brewer’s yeast, flaxseed and any adding (I added 1 cup chocolate chips).
- Roll into small balls, about 1-inch thick. Store covered in the refrigerator and enjoy!
*Disclosure: I was not compensated for this post, but some of the products mentioned were provided to me by Swanson Health. My views and comments are solely my own and do not represent those of Swanson