Today’s What I Ate Wednesday post is a FRIDAY. Alas, it wasn’t an overly exciting Friday- just your standard workday Friday.
Breakfast was egg whites and veggies. I know – shocker. I’m a creature of habit 🙂
Lunch was mishmash – leftover spaghetti squash with homemade tomato sauce and basil (yummmm!) as well as a pre packed salad with a store-bought veggie burger.
Snacks that day included some super salty almonds (Yum!) and more spaghetti squash. This time with honey and cinnamon. I forgot to take a picture (thus a photo of the empty container).
B and I had a long run planned for Saturday, so we opted for a low key Friday night. I love vegan food before long runs, so we tried out a new restaurant. The food was pretty good – I had a sweet potato veggie burger wrapped in collard greens.
And of course, I had to have dessert. I made myself a mini bowl with a bunch of random treats – white chocolate chips, banana bread, chex and chocolate.
That concluded my Friday. As always, click on the badge below to see what WIAW is all about.
Some questions for you:
- What do like to eat the night before a long run? Anything vegan, typically. Wraps, sandwiches, salads etc. YUM!
- What’s your typical Friday night? This wasn’t typical but it was nice to stay in for a change!
- Have you ever had spaghetti squash in a sweeter manner, like I did?
This weekend, B and I were sitting around, a little hungry but not wanting to eat much after a late lunch, and I got an idea. I’d make something with that potato we’d had sitting around for a week. Baked potato? Nahh, didn’t want to wait. Wasabi mashed potatoes? Sounded good, but I didn’t feel like going to that much effort for just one potato. Then it hit me – I would make my own potato chips – in the microwave – just like I’d seen all over Pinterest a few months ago.
I admit I was skeptical that it would work and that they would actually taste good — but they came out perfect. Even B was really surprised at the crunchy, salty goodness I had created. Next time I’m trying more fun combinations – spicy, sweet, vinegar, and more!
Potato Chips in the Microwave
Potato Chips – in the Microwave
Here’s what you need:
- 1 baking (russet) potato
- Salt, to taste
- Pam or another spray type oil
- Other flavors for seasoning, optional – we tried Parmesan cheese and oregano
Here’s what you do:
- Clean and dry the potato.
- Slice the potato into paper thin potato-chip like slices. Key words here are paper thin.
- Spray a small plate with Pam.
- Arrange the potato slices evenly across the Pam-sprayed plate. Sprinkle salt (or Parmesan and oregano … or other seasoning!) evenly throughout slices
- Microwave chips for about 6-8 minutes. I nuked mine for about 2 minutes, checked on them, 2 minutes more, and then another 2-4 minutes, checking often. Chips will be golden brown when done – be careful not to overcook (they’ll taste burnt) or undercook (they’ll just be mushy gummy messes) slices.
- Cool – and then enjoy!
Slice the potatoes really thin ..
microwave them for 6-8 minutes