Even though it’s summer, I’ve been dying to use my crock pot. After all – what’s a better feeling than coming home from work and knowing that a healthy, easy dinner is already ready? That’s why I decided to find an easy recipe, with flavors good for summer, for two. That’s right – a crock pot recipe for TWO people (or one person – with a nice-sized lunch for the next day)!
So often whatever I make in my crock pot serves 6, or even more, and I’m eating leftovers for a week. After seeking a few recipes, I decided to just come up with my own – and here it is! Enjoy. If you are cooking for more than two, I have on doubt you could double, triple or quadruple this recipe to feed more hungry bellies.
Crock Pot Cheesy Chicken & Beans for Two
Here’s what you need:
- 4 chicken tenderloins or 1 whole chicken breast
- 1 (15.5 oz) can of black beans, drained
- 1/2 (15.5 oz) jar of salsa (I used Tostitos Chunky Hot Salsa for a kick)
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1 tbs cumin
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 1/2 c Mexican cheese blend
Here’s what you do:
- Place the chicken on the bottom of your crock pot.
- Mix the can of black beans, half jar of salsa, and spices (cayenne pepper, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder) together. Pour on top of chicken.
- Pour water on top.
- Set your crock pot or slow cooker to low. Cook for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, mix chicken/bean mixture and serve in two bowls. Top with Mexican cheese.
Note: I also made some Uncle Ben’s 90 second whole grain rice and topped with the chicken and beans. I also cut up some avocado, and B added hot sauce. For cilantro lovers, the recipe would also be delicious with some fresh herb sprinkled on top.
If you liked this recipe, or want more slow cooker recipes, check out the ones I’ve tried and shared, here.