A confession – while I love to bake, I’ve never ever made the infamous Puppy Chow. You know, that Chex Mix that is coated in chocolate, peanut butter and some powdered sugar? I’ve been on a mission to make it and the perfect occasion finally happened – baking with Nicole!
I’ve been hearing a lot about the Red Velvet Oreo cookies and when I finally found them at Target (don’t worry, I went into Target to buy a “few things” and left with a cart full – EVERY TIME), I couldn’t wait to buy them. They came in a smaller-than-typical Oreo box, meaning I used the whole box in the recipe and wasn’t left with leftovers .. okay, besides the 2-3 that I had to try first.
I am not a big Oreo fan – sorry, I just am not. But I do love cream cheese frosting and when I heard the Red Velvet OREOS weren’t as chocolatey and had a cream cheese type frosting, I knew I had to buy a box. And of course bake with them. Want an excuse to try the Red Velvet OREOs? Here you go!
Red Velvet OREO Puppy Chow
(I added in Valentine’s M&Ms and sent a bag of this to my brother for Valentine’s Day feel free to make it any time of year you can find these OREOs though! – modified from Sally’s Baking Addiction)
- 20 Red Velvet OREOs, finely crushed into crumbs (divided into two halves)
1 c. powdered sugar (divided into half)
10 cups Rice Chex cereal (divided into two halves – 5 c. + 5 c.)
- 1 1/4 c. white chocolate melting wafers
- 1 1/4 c. milk chocolate melting wafers
- Extra OREOs, roughly chopped (I used probably 4-5)
- 1/2 c. M&Ms – I used the Valentine’s ones
Here’s what you do:
- Measure out powdered sugar and crushed Oreos and mix together. Divide mixture in half – you’ll use half for the white Rice Chex and half for the chocolate Rice Chex.
- Measure out half the Rice Chex – about 5 cups. Pour into a large bowl or tupperware with a lid.
- Melt white chocolate on low, in a microwave. Stir throughout to make sure you don’t burn chocolate. Pour melted white chocolate over Rice Chex and store until cereal is covered.
- Pour half powdered sugar/OREO mixture over white chocolate Chex. Put lid on tupperware and shake until cereal is coated with sugar and OREO mixture.
- Repeat the above steps with the chocolate Chex. Melt chocolate on low, pour over remaining 5 c. Rice Chex and coat, pour remaining powdered sugar/OREO mixture over chocolate Chex and shake to coat.
- Combine cooled white chocolate and chocolate Chex mix. Add in extra chopped OREOs and M&M. Share with a loved one or friend!
Yum! What’s your favorite kind of Chex Mix or Puppy Chow?