This week, our office is participating in a few fun activities in honor of our Operation Feed Week – our effort to support local food banks. One of the awesome things we’re doing is hosting a bake sale – with donations going to the local food bank. Of course I was SUPER excited to participate – and decided to make some cupcakes (surprised?) that combine two of many people’s favorite ingredients: chocolate and peanut butter.
Wanna wow your friends with some delicious AND easy cupcakes? The cupcakes feature a homemade peanut butter cream frosting, a chocolate cupcake using (shh!) brownie mix AND a surprise inside – a peanut butter cup!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cupcakes
(inspired by Betty Crocker)
Here’s what you need:
For the cupcakes (makes 12):
- A box of brownie mix (see, I told you it’s easy! I used Betty Crocker’s Supreme Brownie Mix with fudge packet)
- Ingredients required per brownie mix box (mine had oil, water and eggs)
- 15 Mini Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups – 12 for baking in your cupcakes, 3 to chop up for topping frosting
For the peanut butter buttercream frosting (frosts 12 cupcakes):
- 1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 ½ – 2 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ – ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
Here’s what you do:
For the cupcakes:
- Prepare brownie batter per directions on box.
- Pour batter into a muffin pan, prepared with cupcake liners.
- Unwrap the Reese’s peanut butter cups and place one cup softly on top of each brownie cupcake.
Bake, at 350 degrees, until done, about 15-18 minutes
- Cool completely before frosting. I put mine in the freezer so I could frost them sooner : )
For the frosting:
- Thoroughly beat peanut butter and butter until well blended.
- Gradually add sugar, 1/4 cup or so at a time until frosting stiffens.
- Add milk and vanilla. Continue mixing until creamy.
- Frost cupcakes! Chop up the remaining Reese’s and sprinkle on top of frosted cupcakes.
5 thoughts on “Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cupcakes”
Im not a big fan of peanut butter cups but these looks amazing! I need to try put candy in cupcakes, two of my favorite things!
This would definitely satisfy my PB craving. Seems like a very easy to follow recipe. I think I will try them out with a homemade brownie recipe! Thanks for sharing 🙂
Come visit and I’ll make you some!
I just wanted to let you know that I made this the other night and people couldn’t stop RAVING about it! I made a couple of minor substitutions given what I had available at home: 1) I used Smuckers Natural Crunchy peanut butter and 2) I used Silk Light Vanilla Soy Milk. Thanks again for sharing!!