Even though it’s summer, I’ve been dying to use my crock pot. After all – what’s a better feeling than coming home from work and knowing that a healthy, easy dinner is already ready? That’s why I decided to find an easy recipe, with flavors good for summer, for two. That’s right – a crock pot recipe for TWO people (or one person – with a nice-sized lunch for the next day)!
So often whatever I make in my crock pot serves 6, or even more, and I’m eating leftovers for a week. After seeking a few recipes, I decided to just come up with my own – and here it is! Enjoy. If you are cooking for more than two, I have on doubt you could double, triple or quadruple this recipe to feed more hungry bellies.
Crock Pot Cheesy Chicken & Beans for Two
Here’s what you need:
- 4 chicken tenderloins or 1 whole chicken breast
- 1 (15.5 oz) can of black beans, drained
- 1/2 (15.5 oz) jar of salsa (I used Tostitos Chunky Hot Salsa for a kick)
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1 tbs cumin
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 1/2 c Mexican cheese blend
Here’s what you do:
- Place the chicken on the bottom of your crock pot.
- Mix the can of black beans, half jar of salsa, and spices (cayenne pepper, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder) together. Pour on top of chicken.
- Pour water on top.
- Set your crock pot or slow cooker to low. Cook for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, mix chicken/bean mixture and serve in two bowls. Top with Mexican cheese.
Note: I also made some Uncle Ben’s 90 second whole grain rice and topped with the chicken and beans. I also cut up some avocado, and B added hot sauce. For cilantro lovers, the recipe would also be delicious with some fresh herb sprinkled on top.