April is Donate Life Month and this Friday is Donate Life’s National Blue and Green Day. It’s a day for people to wear blue and green, to show their support and raise awareness for organ, eye and tissue donation. Not only will I be wearing blue and green, but I also decided to bake some blue and green cookies in honor of the day (and maybe bribe/thank some coworkers who show their support).
I had quite a few blue and green themed-recipes in mind – mostly more cookie balls/truffles (I even have green candy shell that I wanted to use) but B kindly suggested that I make “real cookies.” SO, I pulled out this recipe for monster cookies that I had saved a while ago, added blue and green M&Ms and Blue and Green Day Monster Cookies were born! This recipe could easily be modified to show support for your favorite cause, or sports team – just swap out the M&M colors!
Here’s what you need:
- 1/2 cup (or 1 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup unpacked brown sugar
- 3/4 cup peanut butter (I used smooth JIF)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup oats (the kind I used said “Old Fashioned” – not “quick”)
- 1 cup M&Ms (I used only blue and green ones)
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped Butterfingers
Here’s what you do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugars.
- Beat in the peanut butter, vanilla, and egg until smooth. Add in flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Mix in the oats, chips, M&Ms and Butterfingers evenly distributed.
- Drop rounded spoonfuls on to greased cookie sheets. I spray mine down with Pam first.
- Bake for 10 minutes in the 350-degree oven, until the edges start to brown. Cool on cookie sheets for 2-3 minutes before transferring to wire cooling racks to cool completely.
Disclosure: Donate Life Ohio is one of my clients. I was not asked to make blue and green cookies or blog about Blue and Green day. Still, donation is an issue that is important to me and I’m happy to use my blog to remind people the importance of registering as a donor. Currently, nearly 120,000 men, women and children are awaiting organ transplants in the United States. To register as a donor, visit http://donatelife.net/register-now/, or in Ohio click here.
One thought on “Monster Cookies for Blue & Green Day”
Pingback: Peanut Butter Butterfinger Fudge Bars! (and happy birthday to Samantha) | I Crashed The Web