Remember when a few weeks ago we got some organic oats from our CSA? I’ve been debating what to make with them – cookies? Energy bites? Oatmeal? These awesome oatmeal caramel cookie bars? But when our CSA this week gave us some organic yogurt, I knew exactly what I’d be making – homemade granola.
I looooove homemade granola. My mom makes a fresh batch of it nearly every week (probably more when my brother and I were home) and this is the recipe she used when I was growing up. I will warn you – it’s addicting. My brother and I could probably eat the whole recipe in one sitting! With or without yogurt.
The Best Homemade Granola (my mom’s recipe, with a few of my own twists)
Here’s what you need:
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats, or organic oats
- 1/2 cup flaxseed (my mom doesn’t always add this but I did)
- 1 cup your favorite dried fruit (you can use any combination of dried fruit – I used dried blueberries, dried cranberries and dried cherries)
- 1 cup your favorite nut, loosely chopped (I used almonds this time – my mom has used pecans and slivered almonds as well and they are AWESOME)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3/4 – 1 cup maple syrup (I used about 1 c. of what we had on hand which was pure maple syrup from Canada!)
Here’s what you do:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl – oats, flaxseed, nuts, dried fruit, cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Add in vanilla and maple syrup. Mix well until everything is well combined and dry ingredients are coated.
- Pour out onto a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, checking and stirring at about halfway through. Your house will smell amazing. I LOVED waking up to the smell of homemade granola cooking in the oven!
- Let cool and enjoy! Serve with yogurt, cottage cheese, mix with other cereals or just enjoy on its own!