This Saturday was our monthly Ladies Craft Beer Society. For those of you who need to catch up, each month I meet with a few lady friends for a few craft beer drinks, and a new craft. (B calls this my witchcraft society … ’nuff said) This month’s craft was pickling! I don’t know if it counts like a craft or not, but it was definitely something I was pumped for.
For you Portlandia fans, here’s what I was thinking about all week:
We had it at the lovely home of Cuoghi – she has a great kitchen and knows how to entertain. I wish I had taken a photo of all the glorious food she prepared – brown butter nectarine bars, two different quiches, homemade hummus, homemade ice cream sandwiches for dessert. So. Good. Oh, and some delicious frozen strawberry lemonades made with the lemon vodka we’d made at a previous LCBS.
Wanna make some delicious pickles? Here’s what you do. First we all made the pickling spice, which was a combination of 1/2 cinnamon stick (crushed), 2 whole cloves (crushed), 2 dried bay leaves, 2 T mustard seeds, 2 T whole coriander seeds, 2 T black peppercorns, 2 t whole allspice, 2 t dill seeds, 2 t caraway seeds and 2 t chili flakes. Combine everything in a jar – easy peasy!
Then we made the pickles. She had prepared recipes for both dill and bread & butter, but the dill were more my kind. Here’s what we did:
Refrigerator Dill Pickles
Here’s what you need:
- 6-7 kirby or pickling cucumbers
- 1 c white vinegar
- 3/4 c water
- 2 T kosher salt
- 1 T pickling spices (above)
- 3-4 fresh dill springs or 2 tsp dried
- optional: 2-3 chopped garlic cloves, chile flakes, sliced jalapeño, you can add another teaspoon of dill seeds if you like them really dilly
Here’s what you do:
- Cut up cucumbers and put in clean jar.
- Add optional items. I made one with garlic and sliced jalapeño and one regular.
- In a medium sauce pot, put everything else stir, bring to boil so that salt is dissolved, pour over cucumbers, seal jar.
- Let sit out for about an hour, then refrigerate. They’ll be ready in about 24 hours! Enjoy 🙂
And that’s it for my weekend update! Coming up next .. a race recap from the half marathon I ran on Sunday. Guess what – another PR!
Some questions for you:
- What’s something delicious you made or ate this weekend?
- Have you ever made pickles?
- What’s something fun you like that’s pickled?
9 thoughts on “Ladies Craft Beer Society Takes on Pickling (Weekend Update: How to Make Pickles)”
Wow how fun does this look?! I made my own pickles a few months ago I was surprised by how easy it was. Yum! Thanks for linking up today
Isn’t it so easy? Did you do anything fun to them? I’m excited for the spicy ones!
Love dill pickles- my aunt makes them all the time! 🙂 Please make sure if you leave a link, you link back to us! Thank you 🙂
Thanks! I added your badge in again – I guess it didn’t show up the first time.
Awww this looks like so much fun! I wish I had buddies nearby who shared my foodie passions. I have always wanted to make pickles. I am living this through you! Thanks for sharing 🙂
You must try it- it was SO easy! Pickles ready in 24 hours. The best!
Yum! I love pickles, but I’ve never made them! Those look great! 🙂
I had Cheetos and fruit snacks after 19 hrs of call craziness and graham crackers with PB for dinner. Cheetos never tasted so good!!!!!!
I love graham crackers and PB!! Sounds delicious. Sometimes I sprinkle cinnamon too 🙂