I LOVE chocolate chip cookies, especially blondies. They’re one of my favorite things to bake because they not only taste delicious, but they’re so easy – just pour into a pan and bake!
So when once again Northwest Cherries reached out and asked if I’d like to try some of their cherries, I of course said yes. I mean, look at these beauties.
This time, I was planning on doctoring up some blondies to include some of their delicious cherries. I used one of my favorite blondie recipes (found here) to come up with a chocolate cherry blondie. Because chocolate and cherries not only look good together – but they taste good, too!
And, I chose today to share these with you. Do you know why? Because it’s National Rainier Cherry Day! Did you know that was a holiday?
That’s right, July 11 marks National Rainier Cherry Day, commemorating this sweet treat named after Washington state’s famous volcanic peak. Nutrient-rich volcanic soil along with more sunlight in the Northwest creates an optimum growing environment making for high-quality and extra sweet cherries. (So, maybe that’s why when I toss cherry seeds into our garden, they don’t grow into cherry trees?)
To celebrate, I highly suggest you make these. The chocolate + cherry combo is PERFECT.
Chunky Chocolate Cherry Bars
Here’s what you need:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup chocolate chips – I like to do half chocolate and half white chocolate chunks
- 1 heaping cup of cherries, pitted and cut in half – I used this to pit the cherries and it works SO much better than doing it by hand!
Here’s what you do:
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 8×8 baking pan with foil or parchment paper.
- Melt butter. When we first moved into our new home, we didn’t have a microwave, so I had to do this on the stove. Now, it’s even easier because I can do this in the microwave in a microwave safe bowl.
- Add brown sugar to butter (if you did this in the microwave, use the same bowl – just add the brown sugar to this bowl!).
- Add in egg and vanilla.
- Incorporate the flour and mix until just combined.
- Fold in cherries and chocolate and white chocolate chips/chunks.
- Spread mixture into prepared baking pan. I like to set aside a few cherries and chocolate chunks to place on top of the batter because it looks nice 🙂
- Place in oven and bake for 32-38 minutes. (Mine were done in 37 minutes)
- Let them cool in pan for about 10-15 minutes. Then, let them cool completely outside the pan – I like to let them cool for at least 1 hour. Cut them up into bars and enjoy!
Some questions for you:
- Do you like the chocolate+cherry combo?
- What’s your favorite cherry dessert? Least favorite? Believe it or not, I do NOT like cherry pie!
Disclosure: Northwest Cherries provided me some cherries to sample. All reviews and opinions are my own.
2 thoughts on “Chunky Chocolate Cherry Bars”
This looks so good. I have some cherries in the refrigerator. Thanks for sharing.
These sound amazing!!!!!