The weather turned out relatively nice today, with the 5 + days of 40 degrees and rain coming to an end for a few hours, the sun coming out and 65 degree weather resulting. To celebrate, I decided to make one of my favorite summer/springtime recipes — crab cakes! I have a great, healthy recipe – modified from a Cooking Light recipe from ions ago.
The Cooking Light recipe is here:
I didn’t follow it 100% — here’s how I changed it up:
- It calls for green and red pepper but I just used extra red pepper.
- I also added about the same amount (1/4 cup) thinly diced onion.
- Also, it calls for 3 egg whites- I used 1/4 c. eggbeaters (the 1 egg equivalent).
- Instead of Hungarian Paprika, I ended up using Cayenne Pepper 🙂 Yum!
- I don’t know if I make small crab cakes, but when I make the recipe, it ends up with 8 (double what Cooking Light says)
Also, I broiled it a little longer- about 10 min on one side and then 6-7 min on the other side. Done!
For a dipping sauce, I mixed dijon mustard, mayo, garlic powder and tabassco sauce.
Mixing up the crab cake “batter” in our new awesome mixing bowl