The official first day of summer is this Sunday and I’m pretty pretty excited for it to begin. Summer in Cleveland is the best. As is spring and fall but I do just LOVE SUMMER. Here are 5 things I’m already excited about- these are my summer favorites!
I love going to the beach. Yes, Lake Erie is a lake but this East Coaster grew up with the ocean and still loves Lake Erie. It’s so big that it feels like an ocean at times and just laying out on the sand, relaxing, AND going to events like Edgewater Live where there’s live music and food trucks on the beach make me so excited for summer!
2. Summer Vacations.
B and I took a big trip to Asia early in the year so we don’t have anything huge planned for summer, but I do have a few trips already on our agenda:
– Milwaukee for Summerfest – just a drive away and a great music festival on their water. Plus beer, cheese curds and Jelly Belly! (Here’s a recap from the last time we went)
– California to visit my brother – for my mom’s birthday, our family is taking a trip out west again and spending some time with my brother who lives in SF. We’ll be doing a few days in the Redwoods before I head back to CLE (they’re taking a longer trip and have a few more adventures planned).
– Camping with friends – B rented a cabin for us and a few other couples to enjoy a weekend in the woods.
3. Ice Cream.
Yes, I enjoy ice cream year round, but there’s just something about an afternoon walk to our favorite ice cream shop that just screams summer, amiright?
Yes, summer running can be hot, humid and less-than-stellar but the days are longer, mornings are brighter and paths are clear of ice and I definitely appreciate it. And since I’m running a half in August, training starts
two weeks ago now! And my running bff signed up for a full so that means we’ll be sure to get in some early morning longish runs together hopefully.
5. Blossom/Outdoor Music.
I love patios. And backyards. There’s just something so relaxing and freeing about sitting outside and enjoying live music. The Cleveland Orchestra’s summer home is at Blossom, and last year B and I went to two shows where we sat on the lawn, brought some wine and cheese and snacks, and listened to the orchestra perform. BEST way to spend a summer night!
Some questions for you:
- What are you most looking forward to for summer?
- Do you have any summer vacation plans?
- Do you like running in the summer? If not, what’s your preferred season for running?
- What’s your favorite flavor of ice cream?
Shout out to the Dancing Runner for inspiring me to write this post! AND linking up today with this fabulous blog – Running for Cupcakes!.
5 thoughts on “Friday Five: Summer Favorites – Five Things I’m Looking Forward To This Summer”
1. Lot sof golf!! 2. I’m going to NC in September, even though that’s after Summer. and Salt Fork! 3. I do early or late in the day so it’s not as hot. 4. Chocolate!
1. Definitely outdoor music. It’s the best on a nice summer evening! Especially paired with a cold beer 🙂
2. Heading to the Outer Banks to my family’s beach house for a week at the end of July. Our annual trip and always the highlight of my year.
3. I never like running hehe. But I do go for walks every day… I like to go in the mornings in the summer or right when the sun is setting and it’s a little cooler.
4. Strawberry hands down. Or, a local place in Baltimore makes caramel Old Bay flavored ice cream which is surprisingly tasty! Perfect combo of sweet and salty.
Oooh strawberry ice cream- so delicious!
SUMMER IS HERE! I like summer but to be honest, my favorite season is FALL – because I just love the smell in the air and the changing colors… And well, I don’t handle HEAT all that well – lol.
What a fun summer you already have planned. Ice cream during the summer months really is the best! I’m with you on enjoying the walk there and home while licking away. I’ll always be a fan of plain vanilla with rainbow sprinkles. Only the best!