I know I’m semi-behind the times, but have you heard about the vinegar craze? Or more specifically, apple cider vinegar? Or “ACV” to those who are in-the-know?
About a year or so ago, my Instagram feed was completely taken over by people and their vinegars. Drinking this vinegar for this reason, using this vinegar for that reason, etc. But the most common one? ACV.
I admit it, I wasn’t jumping out of my seat to try apple cider vinegar. I already have a pretty solid vinegar collection (red wine, rice wine, balsamic, etc.) for dressings and marinades and cooking. And I wasn’t sure I wanted to try drinking the stuff.
So, when Swanson Health Products asked me to try their apple cider vinegar, I was intrigued. I was told that it is raw, unfiltered and unpasteurized; this means it still has the “mother,” a natural complex of proteins, enzymes, fiber and friendly bacteria.
How did I try it out?
- I made some salad dressing to top on a salad. I mixed 1 TB ACV + 1 tsp Dijon mustard and 1.5 TB extra virgin olive oil. It was great!
- I tried it as a drink – I mixed 3 TB ACV to about 1/4 c of water. I first gargled with it (it’s supposed to help with a healthy throat!) and then drank it. The taste was a lot better than I expected. Bonus: I did this after working out, as not only is it good for a healthy throat, but ACV is supposed to help with preventing lactic acid build up!
- I made a fruit fly trap – I put a few tablespoons in a bowl and added a few drops of dish soap. I had no idea we had so many fruit flies in our apartment – eep!
- I made a ginger, cinnamon ACV drink. This was my FAVORITE – it was so so so good!
What did I think?
Honestly, it was great on all ends. It not only killed fruit flies, but also made a good dressing and a better-than-expected post-workout drink and gargle!
Apparently apple cider vinegar is good for all sorts of other things. Some unexpected uses (I haven’t tried) include (and more are here!):
- Getting rid of the hiccups
- Getting rid of bad breath
- Creating shiny hair
- Making rice fluffy
- Making a facial toner
Some questions for you:
- Have you tried ACV?
- What are some products, like ACV, you’ve tried for unexpected or new solutions? I was surprised that I could make my own natural window cleaner with citrus! I did that once and it worked out great.
*Disclosure: I was not compensated for this post, but was provided a gift certificate and product (apple cider vinegar) by Swanson Health. My views and comments are solely my own and do not represent those of Swanson.