I got a crockpot! I got a crockpot! I got a crockpot! (can you sense my excitement?)
A few months ago, B and I registered for a slow cooker (correct term… but that’s the only time you’ll hear me use it) at Macy’s. Here’s the model in case you’re interested. Well, one of my best friends got it for me for my wedding shower gift and I was super pumped to try it out. The review? Awesome! It was easy to clean, easy to use, and everything turned out great!
For one of my first recipes, I wanted something truly no fuss and healthy. This meant no searing any meat before using it, not toooo much chopping (I haven’t gotten my Mini-Chop yet from my registry:)) — something I could truly throw together before work and return home 12 or so hours later to eat. So when I found the Tuscan Turkey Sausage, Kale and Vegetable Soup recipe I was really excited to try it out — and it didn’t disappoint! See below for a fabulous, easy and healthy crockpot soup.
Tuscan Turkey Sausage, Kale and Vegetable Soup
adopted from RecipeGirl.com
- One (12-ounce) package of turkey or chicken sausage, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds (I used Al Fresco Sweet Italian Style Chicken Sausage)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 large celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 medium bunch kale, stems removed, & leaves chopped (about 4 cups)
- 3 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- One (15.5-ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed & drained
- One (15.5-ounce) can great Northern beans, rinsed & drained
- One (14.5-ounce) can Italian seasoned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry red wine (or water)
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- shredded Parmesan cheese, optional (I’m a huge cheese fan … I ended up using Romano because that’s what I had on hand)
Directions (it really is as easy as 1-2-3)
- Chop all ingredients — chicken/turkey sausage, garlic, onion, carrots, celery and kale.
- In a slow cooker, combine all chopped ingredients except Parmesan. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low until the vegetables are tender, 8-10 hours.
Yield: 6 servings (1 1/2 cups per serving)
* Nutritional Information (without Parmesan): calories 241, fat 5g (sat 5g & trans fat 0g), cholesterol 37mg, sodium 1,258mg, carbohydrates 31g, fiber 8g, protein 19g, calcium 158mg
* according to Recipe Girl
If you liked this kale recipe, check out some more!