This week, my office hosted a bake sale during Walnut Wednesday to support Pelotonia, a bicycle event in Columbus that a few of my coworkers are participating are in (as you know, my lack of bike riding skills make it a little hard for me join) and I was looking for something new to make. I wanted to bake something delicious and unique – but also easy, because I knew I’d be short on time this week. Betty Crocker’s website offers a variety of cake mix and cookie mix-inspired recipes, and of course I found exactly what I wanted there. I introduce you to, what I’m calling, Easy, Crunchy Peanut Butter & Fluff Bars.
Easy, Crunchy Peanut Butter & Fluff Bars (from BettyCrocker.com)
Here’s what you need:
- 1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) peanut butter cookie mix (I told you it was easy!)
- 3 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 tb water
- 1 egg
- 3 c mini marshmallows
- 2/3 c light corn syrup
- 1/2 stick butter
- 2 tsps vanilla
- 1 bag (10 oz) peanut butter chips
- 2 c Rice Krispees
- 2 c salted peanuts
Here’s what you do:
- In large bowl, mix peanut butter cookie mix, oil, water and egg until soft dough forms. Press dough in 13×9-inch baking pan prepared with Pam or another cooking spray.
- Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 15-17 minutes or until set. Immediately sprinkle marshmallows over crust and bake 2-3 minutes longer or until marshmallows begin to puff.
- In a 5-quart saucepan, cook corn syrup, butter, vanilla and chips over low heat, stirring constantly, until chips are melted.
- Remove saucepan from heat; stir in cereal and nuts. Immediately spoon cereal mixture evenly over marshmallows.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes or until firm. When cooled, cut into bars or triangles.