You may have noticed I’ve been on a veggie burger and vegetable-kick lately. I have have been looking for new recipes for my meat-loving husband to try and challenging myself to find the occasional meatless (or semi-meatless) recipe for him and I to enjoy! Don’t get me wrong – I’m not becoming a vegetarian (far from it), but am trying to learn to cook veggies in ways that I don’t normally try to. And these burgers take the cake – they’re B’s favorite vegetarian thing I’ve made this year so far.
Spicy Black Bean Burgers (adapted from Eat Live Run)
Here’s what you need:
- 2 cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp flaxseed meal
- ½ medium red onion
- 1 tbsp cumin
- ½ fresh tomato, diced
- ½ c panko breadcrumbs
- ½ c canned corn
Here’s what you do:
- Chop jalapenos in half and remove seeds.
- Add de-seeded jalapeno and garlic cloves to a food processor and mince finely.
- Add chopped onion to food processor and continue to dice.
- Add one of the cans of beans and flaxseed to the food processor and combine with jalapeno and garlic mixture.
- Add cumin and mix until the mixture is has a texture that is similar to that of an oatmeal cookie.
- Using a spatula, stir in panko bread crumbs and mix well.
- Stir in chopped tomato, canned corn and remaining can of beans.
- Form mixture into small burger patties. Mine made about 10 patties.
- OPTIONAL PRE-COOKING STEP: Pop in the freezer for a little while to help patties harden. This isn’t necessary but definitely helps the texture since the patties are very mushy and crumbly when they cook. Since they made 10 patties, I made mine over the weekend and froze them ahead of time and only took out 4 to cook the evening of (2 for B, 1 for me for dinner and 1 for me for lunch the next day).
- Spray a pan with nonstick cooking spray and heat on medium. Fry black bean burgers on each side: if fresh, 5 min per side will do, if frozen you will want to cook longer, 10 min on each side or until completely defrosted and crusty and golden on each side.
- Enjoy how you like your burgers! I enjoyed mine with avocado and sriracha on an English muffin.
For me the recipe made 10 medium size burgers.
One thought on “Spicy Black Bean Burgers”
Pingback: Crock Pot Lentils and Kale | I Crashed The Web