This weekend, B and I did something we hardly ever do – we hit the grocery store and picked up supplies to make a homemade dinner
every single night this week. every night but Friday night. each of the 3 nights B and I will be home together this week. The plans? Chicken marinara with mozzarella and spinach, Moroccan-style chicken with chickpeas and zucchini, and eggs with hamsteak. But of course this morning I remembered that B and I are hitting a movie on Thursday (Movie #3 of 4 on our list to see as part of the Cleveland International Film Festival!) shortly after our work/training run and likely won’t have time to cook – so that leaves us with 2 nights of meals.
Knowing the zucchini wouldn’t stay until next week I decided to use it tonight anyway and make some zucchini fries! These are a delicious way to enjoy some healthy “fried” food and also get some extra veggies in.
Here’s what you need (serves 2-3):
- 1 medium zucchini
- ¼ c panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ c Italian style breadcrumbs
- ¼ c grated parmesan or romano cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ c Egg Beaters
Here’s what you do:
- Slice the zucchini into thin, fry-like strips. I find it easiest to cut the zucchini in half lengthwise, then in half the other way and cut each portion into smaller portions. The thinner the fries, the crispier and less zucchini-like they taste.
- Mix the dry ingredients – panko breadcrumbs, Italian flavored breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, garlic and onion powders.
- Prepare a baking sheet with foil. Spray foil with Pam or any other olive-oil type spray.
- Make the fries! Take each strip and coat thoroughly in the Egg Beaters. After coated in Egg Beaters, place in the dry ingredient mixture. Shake it up to coat evenly. After coated, place onto the prepared baking sheet. Do this with each strip.
- Bake in a 425 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, flipping about halfway through to evenly brown.
Enjoy! I like serving my fries with homemade tomato sauce and sometimes add some red pepper flakes for some extra heat in the sauce.