I looooove caramel and chocolate. Yum yum yum. Chocolate and caramel, in my opinion, is one of the most heavenly flavor combinations, in addition to peanut butter and chocolate of course!
B and I had a few people over for the Super Bowl this year. Last year I got all festive and made adorable football brownie sandwiches – but this year I decided I just wanted something sweet and found some recipes for chocolate chip caramel cookies.
I opted for a simple chocolate chip caramel bar recipe and they definitely were a hit; almost the whole pan was gobbled up immediately! I can’t wait to make them again or try another variation of this recipe.
Chocolate Chip Caramel Cookie Bars
(modified from Two Peas and their Pod‘s salted caramel cookies)
Here’s what you need:
- 2 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 12 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, or 1/2 c of Egg Beaters ( I used Egg Beaters)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 10 ounces caramel candy squares, unwrapped
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Sea salt, for sprinkling over caramel and bars
Here’s what you do:
- Preheat oven to 325. Spray a 13×7 pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, combine melted (and cooled) butter,brown sugar and white sugar.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract and mix until smooth. Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix on low, just until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the cookie dough in half. Press half of the cookie dough into the prepared pan.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the unwrapped caramels and heavy cream. Microwave caramels on until melted and stop to stir about every 20-30 seconds. The whole process took about 2.5 minutes in the microwave for me.
- Pour hot caramel over the cookie dough in the pan.
- Spread remaining cookie dough over caramel layer. The caramel will be sticky, so I found it easy to divide remaining dough into four chunks, flatten chunk somewhat and place in each corner.
- Bake cookie bars for 30-35 minutes or until the top of the bars are light golden brown. Cool bars on a wire rack. Serve – and enjoy!
3 thoughts on “Chocolate Chip Caramel Bars”
These look oh so good but oh so naughty lol
True. I didn’t calculate the nutrition info – but I did cut some tiny ones 🙂
Look so gooey and sinful! Just the way I like it! :o)