I somehow missed most of the pumpkin baking season this year. Between work, traveling and who knows what happened, I barely baked with pumpkin this year. Which means that I still have one large jar of pumpkin puree in my pantry just begging to be used. Seriously, its TALKING to me, guys. Yes, I have a problem.
So, I used half of the giant can to make this amazing pumpkin bread. But I still have some left. Instead of immediately baking with it – I decided to try something not-so-sweet based on what I had in my pantry. I didn’t tell B these had pumpkin in them until after he tried (and enjoyed) them – so that should tell you something. Success? Yes!
Pumpkin Black Bean Burgers
Here’s what you need:
- 1/2 c canned pumpkin
- 1/2 c. cooked grain of your choice – e.g. rice, quinoa, freekeh, etc. I used freekeh which has a similar texture to rice but more whole grain, protein and fiber
- 1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained (about 1 1/2 c. black beans)
- 1 green onion, diced
- 1 diced carrot
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
Here’s what you do:
- Saute the diced carrot and green onion in olive oil until softened.
- Divide the rinsed and drained canned beans in half. Mash half of them with a fork – not so they become a paste but enough so that they become mushy.
- Put it all together! Mix together pumpkin, cooked freekeh (or quinoa or rice), whole beans and mushy beans, cooked veggies and flax seed. Combine until everything is evenly distributed.
- Add spices (cumin, garlic powder and chili powder) and continue to mix well.
- Create 4-5 patties, about 1/3 – 1/2 cup in size and place in the freezer for 30 minutes to an hour. This will help the patties harden somewhat so they keep their shape while cooking.
- When hardened, cook the patties! I put them on a pan sprayed with Pam and cooked on medium until each side was somewhat browned.
- Enjoy! I like mine with avocado on top of a salad.
Some questions for you:
- What’s your favorite way to use pumpkin? Do you have any savory recipes to share? Please? 🙂
- Do you like veggie burgers?
- Have you tried freekeh yet? If you’re looking for inspiration, I have a few recipes to share here and here.