It’s December 4! Do you know what that means? Not only is it exactly THREE WEEKS UNTIL CHRISTMAS (can you tell I’m excited?) … but it’s also National Cookie Day!
That’s right, National Cookie Day. Who makes up these bizarre holidays? Who knows. Do I care? Not if it means I can celebrate with baking and eating cookies!
In honor of the holiday, I’m sharing with you a recipe that we make every year at Christmas – Oatmeal Scotchies (or Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies).
Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies
Here’s what you need:
- 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs (as usual, I used 1/2 cup Egg Beaters)
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups quick-cooking or regular rolled oats , uncooked
- 1-3/4 cups (one traditional 11 oz. pkg.) Butterscotch Chips
Here’s what you do:
- Preheat your oven to 370 degrees. Grease cookie sheets. I used Pam.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugars.
- Mix in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt — slowly stir into the creamed mixture. Beat until well blended.
- Fold in oats and butterscotch chips and mix well. Drop by heaping teaspoons onto your cooking sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. If you prefer your cookies chewy, cook around 8. For crunchier cookies you may need 10-11 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks.
Enjoy! For some extra deliciousness, add a few chocolate chips to the batter when you have a little left and share those with your chocolate lover friends.
One thought on “A holiday baking favorite – Oatmeal Scotchies!”
Pingback: A wonderful Cleveland holiday | I Crashed The Web