My brother’s birthday is in about a week and he’s turning 21! I can’t believe my baby brother is finally turning the big 2-1. So, to help him celebrate from afar (sorry Greg, I won’t be in NY with you for another month or so), I made some birthday cake cookies in his honor!
I’ve made “cake batter cookies” before – but the recipes I’ve found tended to be mostly just cake batter and came out thin and tasting a little too much like raw cake batter for my liking. This recipe is definitely a keeper- it’s a mashup between a regular chocolate chip cookie recipe and cake batter cookie recipe. The result is a delicious, chewy, perfect cookie.
Have a birthday cake coming up? Or just want an excuse to make delicious cookies that taste like cake batter? Here you go!
Birthday Cake Batter Cookies
Recipe modified from Sally’s Baking Addiction
Here’s what you need:
- 1 ¼ c. all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ c boxed yellow cake mix (I had leftovers from the birthday cake truffles)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ sticks butter (3/4 c), room temperature – I used 1 stick of low fat butter and ½ stick regular unsalted
- ¾ c granulated sugar
- ½ c light brown sugar
- 1 egg (I used ¼ c Egg Beaters)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ½ c chocolate chips
- ½ c white chocolate chips
- 1/3 c rainbow sprinkles (I had Christmas sprinkles that I used, plus added some stand alone blue sugar crystals)
Here’s what you do:
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cake mix and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer (like your KitchenAid), cream together butter and sugars on medium speed. Combine until well mixed.
- Add in egg and vanilla until creamed.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet ingredients, approximately ½ c at a time. Mix until evenly combined, careful not to overmix.
- Using a spatula, fold in chocolate and white chocolate chips and sprinkles.
- Refrigerate dough overnight, if possible. If you’re short on time, cover dough and place in a freezer for about 30-45 minutes.
- After dough is chilled, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of the dough onto a baking sheet, prepared with Pam.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until edges are slightly brown but centers are still soft.
- Cool cookies on baking sheet for 2 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. My batter made approximately 36 cookies.
2 thoughts on “Birthday Cake Batter Cookies”
so glad you made these cookies. they look so good and you have me craving them! Happy early Birthday to your brother!
Thank YOU for creating them! I only made slight changes on your recipe. What a great find!!!