As much as I’d love to be, I’m not reallllly a meal planner. I’d love to have each day of the week’s dinners mapped out by Sunday, but it just doesn’t happen that way. And when I do try, something happens to get in the way- an unplanned happy hour turned into dinner, an invite to a basketball/baseball game, working late, etc. So as much as I love my slow cooker, it doesn’t get used NEARLY enough because it involves planning ahead.
So if you are able to plan ahead and are looking for a delicious Meatless Monday dish and enjoy curry, I highly suggest you make this. B liked it so much, he took leftovers for lunch the next day! (confession – he may have had some chicken alongside his …)
Note – I normally am opposed to crockpot meals that require ANY on-the-stove prep. I mean, what’s the point of using the slow cooker if you have to cook something first? That being said, I don’t alway enjoy onions made in the crockpot, which is why I cooked them ahead of time. I find onions in the crockpot sometimes get rubbery or taste funny – if you disagree, I’m sure you could make this without the extra step of sauteeing them first.
Slow Cooker Spinach and Chickpea Coconut Curry
Here’s what you need:
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1-2 Tablespoons curry powder (add more if you prefer more heat-I did about 1.5 TBS)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 serrano chiles, chopped
- 3 cups canned chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 Russet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 red peppers, diced
- 1 cup green beans, chopped into 1/2 inch slices
- 1-14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-14-ounce can vegetable broth
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
Here’s what you do:
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until it starts to become translucent. Add about half of the curry powder and ginger. Cook another minute or so.
- Add cooked onion to a slow cooker, along with chopped carrots, chiles, chickpeas, chopped potatoes, red peppers, green beans, diced tomatoes and vegetable broth. Add remaining curry powder and stir.
- Cover and cook on high 6 hours or until vegetables are softened and ready to eat.
- Just before serving, add in spinach and coconut milk. Stir and cook for about five minutes or until spinach wilts.
I served mine over some quinoa for a perfectly filling meatless meal.
When made as above, we had enough for about 2 pretty large vegetarian main courses and then we had enough leftover for 3 nice sized lunches.
Modification: I made a version without the coconut milk and it was just as good! Not quite as creamy (and I think B prefered it with the coconut) but still delicious and a little spicier.
Some questions for you:
- What’s your favorite crockpot meal or go-to slow cooker dish?
- Are you a meal planner/prepper? Any tips?
- Do you like curry? What about coconut?
2 thoughts on “Meatless Monday: Slow Cooker Spinach and Chickpea Coconut Curry”
Thanks! It really came out great. I can’t wait to make it again!