I don’t know about you, but where I am is JUST starting to feel like spring! This past weekend was gorgeous, it’s supposed to be 60 today … but the past few weeks have been pretty chilly for April! We still have had a few chilly days, a few cold nights, and even some frosty mornings. That being said, I am trying to embrace it. So yes, we’re still eating soups, chilis and other wintry foods. Truth be told? I love chili and hot soup all year round so at least food-wise, I can’t complain.
Looking for a meat free chili that you can set and forget about? Here you go! I made this chili in the crockpot one night when I knew we’d only have 30 min to prepare and eat dinner … and since I like to sit and enjoy a meal, I knew I wanted to spend the 30 minutes eating (and not cooking/cleaning). This was the perfect solution, and even B enjoyed his meatless bowl! Just in time for Meatless Monday, here’s a slow cooker vegetarian chili you can enjoy.
Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Bean Chili
Here’s what you need:
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, sliced
- 1 cup cauliflower, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (or even better, homemade!)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tablespoons ancho chile powder
- 1-2 Tablespoons ground cumin (to taste)
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper or more (or to taste)
- hot sauce (I like cholula) to taste
- Optional toppings: Greek yogurt, cheese, avocado, cilantro, more hot sauce
Here’s what you do
- Place all the diced and chopped veggies in the crockpot (squash, onion, garlic, peppers, cauliflower).
- Cover veggies with canned tomatoes, sauce, beans and spices (chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper).
- Set crock pot on low for 7-8 hours. Add in hot sauce before serving and when plated (or bowled)? add your additional toppings! I love topping mine with cheese and avocado (vegetarian) or just avocado (vegan).
Some questions for you:
- How do you like your chili? Meaty? Beany? Tons of veggies?
- Do you have any good vegetarian crockpot recipes?
Joining this Meatless Monday linkup again!
6 thoughts on “Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Bean Chili”
I doooooo like chili, and I especially love it when it has butternut squash. One of the best vegetables ever. Isn’t that so satisfying when you walk in after a long day and smell that chili in the slow cooker? Amazing! Thanks so much for linking up 🙂 We hope you will join every week now!
I love veggie chili especially a spicy one with butternut squash! Thanks for linking up with us today for Meatless Monday
Yum I love chili, if we get another cold day this year I’ll have to try this! But 70+ degrees means no chili for awhile in these parts!
Ha, I love chili ALL year round. Soup in the summer is okay by me but I know I’m a minority when it comes to that. I’ll be enjoying it as much as I can while it’s still sometimes chilly temps (pun intended) here!
YUM!!!! This sounds so good. I will have to pin it for later this for later!
The weather has been very unpredictable here and I love squash chili! Sweet potato chili is another favorite and I will even eat that cold. I have been resisting the cold temps by not making it but thinking if it dips below 50 again I’m going to have to make it after having a couple days of nice temps.