I think I’m a gingeraholic. Here are a few signs I’ve noticed:
- Nearly every night I drink a cup of ginger tea with honey.
- I love ginger candy. Especially this kind 🙂 (HINT I love surprise gifts …)
- When we get sushi, I tend to ask for extra ginger. (unless B is there, then I just eat his)
- Dried ginger? Candied ginger? Crystallized ginger? I have to have it.
So when I got home last week from a shopping trip and found myself with two small ginger-roots PLUS a tube of minced ginger, I wasn’t surprised. But – what to do with all that ginger? I made some stir fry dishes, curries, etc. but I wanted to bake something. Surprised? I’m not. But when I searched for ginger recipes (including the ginger chocolate biscotti recipe B loves) I was surprised and disappointed that I couldn’t find ONE that called for fresh ginger. They either called for powdered ginger, or candied ginger (which I know I could make … but I wanted to bake right away!). SO I decided to sorta create my own recipe, using fresh ginger. I was able to combine a few other recipes and ideas (a lot of the ginger cupcakes/cookies/etc. recipes called for molasses with their candied ginger) to come up with these. And I think these came out FABULOUS. Even B, not a ginger fan, enjoyed them! Triple Chocolate Chip Ginger Cookies Here’s what you need:
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (likely one stick), room temperature
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely diced
- 1/2 cup semi-sweetened chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup semi-sweetened chocolate chunks
- 1 cup white chocolate chips (feel free to use more regular chocolate or even dark chocolate if you’re not a white chocolate fan. I LOVE white chocolate and loved the chips with the ginger!)
Here what you do:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream together the sugar, butter and molasses. Add in eggs, one at a time, and beat until well mixed.
- In separate bowl, combine dry ingredients: flour, ground ginger, baking soda and salt.
- Combine creamed mixture with the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the diced fresh ginger, chocolate chips, chocolate chunks and white chocolate chips.
- Let batter sit for 30 minutes to 1 hour in your fridge. Can’t wait? Sometimes I just let it sit in the freezer so it hardens – I believe this helps prevent the batter from spreading out when cooking
- Drop the batter by the teaspoonful onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 10 – 12 minutes or until edges start to brown.
Some questions for you:
- Do you like ginger?
- White chocolate or dark chocolate? white chocolate all the way!
- Have you ever had ginger candy? What’s your favorite kind?
One thought on “Triple Chocolate Chip Ginger Cookies”
oh my oh my i need one of those in front of me right now 🙂 lol