My grandmother passed away last week. I know – it’s not quite the opening you expected in a blog post about chocolate cookies. But let me explain.
My grandma was a chocaholic. For as long as I can remember, she always loved chocolate. Mallomars were actually her favorite cookie; I’ve heard countless stories about how the local grocery store where my dad grew up in the Bronx called her the “Mallomar lady.” My parents would buy boxes and boxes of Mallomars and wrap them to give her as holiday gifts. To be honest, I never really liked Mallomars. And I’m certainly not a chocaholic – as you may have noticed, I hardly ever make something that’s chocolate based. And when I do, it’s often for B or other friends and family. And during the holidays, I always made sure to include something chocolate when baking, because I knew that would be what my grandma would like best. In fact, I even brought her some Rolo Stuffed Peanut Butter Brownies this year before Christmas when I visited her with my dad.
I’ve been somewhat of a funk since she passed away. I know, it’s normal – and I know, I don’t usually post about stuff like this on here. But I tend to look back on old blog posts as some sort of a diary and I want to remember this time. In fact, it feels good to remember her here and to think about her love of chocolate. Anyway, in case you haven’t noticed, there are two main ways I deal with stress/anxiety/etc. in my life – running and baking. So I’ve been doing a lot of both this past week. And one of the recipes I made, I made in honor of my grandma. Because I know she would have LOVED these cookies.
Got a chocolate lover in your family? Or maybe you have the chocaholic gene in your family? (My dad got it too!) Then you’ll love these cookies. They’re soft, chocolatey and well – pretty much everything a chocolate cookie should be.
Triple Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Here’s what you need:
- 2 c. all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/4 c. granulated sugar
- 3/4 c. packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c. semi-sweetened chocolate chips
- 1/2 c. semi or milk chocolate chunks (I used mini Hershey kisses, chopped up)
- OPTIONAL – for the extra chocaholic: 1/2 c. your favorite M&Ms (I used some peanut M&Ms in some, but didn’t photograph those)
Here’s what you do:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, cocoa and baking soda.
- Cream together butter and sugars in a large bowl of a stand mixer. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Slowly add in flour mixture, about 1 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Stir in chocolate chips, chunks and M&Ms (optional, but without the M&Ms they’re only double chocolate chunk cookies:)).
- Allow dough to chill in refrigerator for 30 min to 1 hour.
- Drop by rounded tablespoon onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- BAKE for approximately 10 minutes, until cookies are puffy. Cookies will be a little bit cracked on top but still soft.
- Cool on wire racks.
- Share with our favorite chocaholic or enjoy yourself!
And because this wasn’t the happiest blog post, I leave you with a famous/fun Mallomar reference. My grandma wasn’t the only one with Mallomar addiction 🙂 (and this is from the Sopranos – so it’s obviously got some language that’s NSFW)