It’s fall! And with the cooler temps, means that I’m READY for all the fall baking! This weekend, we baked some apple cinnamon bread and pumpkin whoopee pies. Both recipes were good, but the whoopee pies were requested by B and they came out SO good. I highly recommend that if you find yourself a can of pumpkin (which is hard these days!) you make these.
Here’s what you need:
For the cookies
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups pumpkin puree (almost an entire can)
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ Tablespoons ground cinnamon
- ½ Tablespoon ground ginger
- ½ Tablespoon ground cloves
For the frosting/filling
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
Here’s what you do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease baking sheet, or use a nonstick surface like Silpat.
- Combine the oil and brown sugar. Mix in the pumpkin, vanilla, eggs, beating well.
- Add the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and cloves. Combine until just mixed.
- Drop dough in about 2 Tablespoon sized gobs onto prepared baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 to 12 minutes.
- While the cookies are baking, make the filling! Beat the butter until smooth, then add in cream cheese and vanilla and beat until it’s a smooth, uniform concoction.
- Add in powdered sugar, by the cup. Beat until smooth and well combined.
- After cookies are done, let them cool completely. Then make sandwiches from two cookies filled with filling.
Tip: I enjoy these but made a few without the frosting and a few with just frosting on one side (not sandwiched). This recipe made me 26 cookies, so 13 full whoopee pies or 10 whoopee pies plus six cookies to either eat plain or with leftover frosting.
2 thoughts on “Pumpkin Whoopee Pies with Cream Cheese Frosting”
These look so edible. I am following your blog because someone in this household loves everything pumpkin.