A week ago, a coworker mentioned she had some extra Nutella laying around – she had bought some a while ago but didn’t seem to be using it. I immediately jumped at the chance to take it off her hands – and of course try a few recipes I’d been eyeing.
When I found myself with a completely unopened jar on my hands, I wasn’t sure what to make. B doesn’t really like Nutella – but if it were a recipe that had just a subtle hint of Nutella , among other flavors, that may do. I saw a recipe for a peanut butter pretzel bar – and it looked amazing. Seeing that, I thought – what could make that better? Nutella! And these bars were born.
I have two warnings for you if you try to make them:
1. They are addicting. They are SO good and taste amazing.
2. The pretzel crust and peanut butter didn’t hold too well together, so they didn’t look too nice. but since they tasted amazing, I didn’t really care. That’s why I’ve added the following note:
NOTE: I need to make this recipe again, with the proposed suggestions:
- IF I decide to continue with a pretzel crust, I would recommend making sure the pretzels are finely ground to help them stay. The crust didn’t stay as well as I wanted
- I think next time I would prefer to have the bottom layer be peanut butter, middle layers be chocolate and then Nutella and then sprinkle pretzels or heath bar on top
Peanut Butter, Nutella, Chocolate Pretzel Bars
Here’s what you need:
- 3 cups crushed butter flavored pretzels
- 1 cup melted butter plus 1 1/2 c butter, softened
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 1 box graham crackers, crumbled in a food processor
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/4 cup Nutella, divided into 1/4 cup and 1 cup
Here’w what you do:
- Crush the butter pretzels in the blender. Grind well, but not into a powder – it’s good with some texture. Mix the pretzels with 1 c. melted butter and 6 tbsp sugar. Set aside about 1/2 c. of the crushed pretzel mixture and spread the rest into a 9×13 well-greased pan. Bake for 12-15 min in 400 degree oven.
- While the pretzel crust is baking, mix together the rest of the butter, graham cracker crumbs, confectioners sugar, vanilla and peanut butter until blended and smooth. Pour the mixture over the pretzel crust when cool. Refrigerate for 1 hour, or until firm.
- In the microwave, melt the chocolate chips and 1/4 cup of Nutella, stirring until smooth. Be careful not to let the chips burn.
- Spread the chocolate Nutella mixture over the peanut butter layer, and refrigerate for another hour, until firm.
- Spread the additional 1 cup of Nutella over the chocolate layer, and refrigerate again. When the bars are firm, cut into squares.
- Enjoy!! I stored mine in the fridge to keep the pretzel crust crunchy.
One thought on “Awesomeness – Peanut Butter, Nutella, Chocolate Pretzel Bars”
Pingback: Toffee Nutella Rice Krispie Treats | I Crashed The Web